Monday, September 1, 2008

Implicit VS Explicit Arguments

Keep track of these numbers:

(1)

Growing up, one of my fondest memories was of Shabbat dinners. Some weeks, it was the only night when the entire family could have a nice dinner together. I always enjoyed the methodical, orderly form that it had. First came the blessings over the candles, then the wine, then the bread. Of course, I especially liked the blessing over the wine, because I would get to take a sip of that mystery drink that only old people get to enjoy.

Looking back, that wine was some of the worst I've ever had. Living in the bay area in California, my parents would take frequent trips up to Napa and Sonoma Valley. The wine they came back with was always exponentially higher in quality, as well as in price. Every now and then I would get a tiny sip or two when my parents had a nice dinner and opened up a fancy wine.

Now, with an almost embarrassing snobbery, I look down on two-buck chuck wines and other lower forms of alcohol. When I do turn 21, I have absolutely no intentions of going to the nearest bar and drinking my brains out on whatever costs the least.

(2)

I believe that the US drinking age should be lowered to eighteen because it promotes better drinking habits. Drinking at the age of 21 promotes alcohol as a forbidden luxury to minors, and encourages them to binge once they hit the age of 21. For more information, I highly suggest that you read this article, published by Professor Ruth C. Engs, a teacher at Indiana University.


OK, now that I've held you as a captive audience without telling you what I'm doing for long enough, I'll go ahead and tell you why you just sat through 265 irrelevant words. I'd like you to pause for a minute and think about which piece, (1) or (2), you liked better.

Number two? Not so much? It's OK, I wouldn't enjoy reading it either. But this post isn't about good writing styles. Nope. It's about good arguing styles. You see, according to A Lovely Book, perhaps you've heard of it, "Writing Arguments", there are two types of arguments. Implicit and Explicit.

Number One was an example of implicit arguing. Implicit Writing is almost like acting. It involves playing with the reader's mind, making him/her believe that their thoughts and emotions are original. It paints a picture in the mind of the reader, showing him or her what the author is trying to convey.

Number Two was explicit. I don't think I need to explain this quite as much. Explicit arguing is where you state your opinion and make a good case around it.


Sorry, everyone. I don't have a good ending for this post like most of the other ones. So I'll end with a joke.

This joke comes from our fantastic friends at All Too Flat.com

A man takes his cross-eyed rottweiler to the veterinarian. The vet calls him in and asks what's wrong.
"My dog's cross-eyed," replies the man.

So the vet picks up the dog, shines a torch into his eyes, checks his teeth and so on. After a couple of minutes, the vet lets out a sigh and says, "I have to put your dog down."

"Why?" exclaims the man, to which the vet replies, "Because he's bloody heavy!"

No comments: