Monday, March 9, 2009

The Shortest Post In The World

Hello, Internet! Hello! Hello... again! I’m back on familiar turf and I just can’t wait to be king. I went to STOMP over the weekend and I still can’t believe how awesome it was.

At the end of the first section of Black Boy, Richard and his family decide that the time has come to move north, to Chicagoworld. FINALLY!

I think that this move is for the better. While conditions for low-income black teenagers probably aren’t much better than they are in the south, Wright will have the opportunity to work up.

You see, in the south, Wright is hitting the upper limit of what Blacks are allowed to do with their lives. He hears about all these black doctors and lawyers and other professionals, and knows that he could never make it that high. In the north, up in Chicago, Wright will still face racism and poverty, but he will also have the opportunity to work up. I predict that he will initially live in abject poverty, but he will slowly work up from there to a fairly respectable place in life.

We shall see...

No comments: