Monday, April 6, 2009

Title

Hello, everyone! I'M toy ins out a new toy 7h, & converts my han2_ri+ing 1 _ n to text. So far i t hasn't Worked Well . But We ill see hou it mLsters the entire blog .

Just kidding. There's no way I'd use that for the entire blog. Today I have the fine honor of talking to you all about The Last American Man, why Lil Gilbert decided to write the book, and what I'm supposed to have gotten from the book.

To explain myself, I'd like to refer to a specific part of the book. Eustace Conway is talking to someone who just realized he sat through a Eustace talk when he was little. He mentions that Eustace's talk changed his life. Eustace is overjoyed to hear this. Then the other man clarifies: He now conserves water. Whoo. Eustace is rather unhappy about this. Yes, conserving water is a good thing, but that wasn't the point.

So what was the point? The point is that we should not have to worry about conserving water. We should leave our cities and go into the woods where there is no water shortage. And I think that this is very important to the point Gilbert is trying to make. Yes, reducing, reusing, and recycling is good, but it just eliminates the symptoms, not the cause of the problem. Gilbert doesn’t want us all to walk into the woods and live off of the land. If there’s anything to be learned from Eustace’s journey, it’s that NOT everyone can live off of the land. Gilbert wants us to get the sense that when we think we’re being, say, environmentally friendly, or ruffin’ it out in the wilds of Eagle Creek Park, we’re just taking baby steps. Try bigger things, like changing your life from a box to a circle, or try truly communing with nature.

Thanks for reading! I’ll See you real Soon!

No comments: