Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hello, internet!

I just spent two hours driving in circles and pissing people off by taking pictures of their buildings. Whoo.

What did I find? Well, the first thing that I noticed was that Zionsville and Carmel have no black people or asian people or mexican people… or anyone that’s not caucasian. It bothered me a bit. I took the two street sign pictures in “Historic Zionsville”. They were one street apart. You can guess which street sign was on Main Street.

I also found an interesting pregnancy ad. It is obviously an anti-abortion ad, but it never states that. It just says “Thou Shalt Not Kill. Pregnancy Help”.

Let’s see. I also came upon the “You are Now Entering Carmel” sign. It’s much better than the one for Indianapolis. I’ve posted it here.

Overall, what I found was a lot of people want you to think their store, product, or service is “high class”. Of course, I took these pictures mostly in Zionsville and Carmel, but there weren’t any instances of visual rhetoric advertising “coolness” or “hipness”.

Other things I found… Restaurants are really into exterior decorating. Abuelo’s, which is a restaurant but advertises itself as a Mexican Food Embassy, looks like they hired some rich italian dude from the fifteenth century as their architect. Chile’s looks like a mexican restaurant, even though it isn’t, and Panera is painted yummy green, bread tan, and plum purple. The building almost looks edible.

Whoa! I came in a t 500 words. Awesometastic!

No comments: