Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Now You See Me...

hello world. I’ve had a tough day, so work with me tonight.

My assignment is to talk about how I value the “non-academic” education I get from school.

Wow. I don’t really know where to begin. In middle school, I was an outcast. I still am, but I now know how to be good outcast. Going to school has taught me everything from how to be a good friend to methods of interrogation (long story) to organizational skills... The list goes on and on.

I think the best way to put this into a frame of reference is to examine people who don’t get the “non-academic” benefits of high school: home-schoolers. I know that I’m making a lot of generalizations here, and I know that not all that I’m saying is entirely true, but this is my general impression.

People who are home-schooled are just as nice and smart as you or I... Excuse me, you or me. But they tend to lack a lot of important skills. Things that you need experience for.

Like, for example, freshman year I had a great friend who I would often say the “wrong thing” in front of. I had no idea how it would happen, but I would just let something slip, and BLAH! poopsickle. Textbook high school drama. After a while, I realized that when I was saying something and they said “I see...”, it was a subtle warning: stop now. So I did. And it helped a lot.

Now I’m able to pick up on small non-verbal clues like that. I gained that skill in high school, and it’s just one of the many things I’ve gotten out of hallway interactions. High School isn’t just about 1492 and √(-1) and Appeal to Ethos and La Langue du Français...

Opp, over the word limit again. See you later.

I see.

No comments: